Saturday 27 June 2015

Everything You Need to Know about Misool

Harapan Jaya Village - Misool, West Papua

I always look for a taste of raw nature and the sea. Jumping to the water gives me feeling of freedom and limitless adventure. Dare I say, it become a habit of mine. So when I want to block out the noise of the modern city and really feel time traveling backward, there’s always one place that does the trick. To the sea..

And Neptune whisper to me: come to visit my garden palace in Misool Raja Ampat.

The shortcut isn’t short
The economic class vs VIP class

Beautiful raw nature is hidden under rough path. So does Misool. It takes quite an effort to get there. From Jakarta, I had to fly to Makassar & Sorong for nearly 6 hours. Choice from this city to Misool is either with speedboat that will get us in 6 hours but be ready to spent 30 mil Rups or by ferry - times double and of course cheaper. Since speedboat is not affordable for us, it leaves the  only choice with ferry. Thankfully, the boat depart at midnight and 12 hours won’t feel too long. This is my very first ferry ride.  From the entrance, I felt like in the part of Titanic movie: together with Jack Dawson squeezing my self in the middle of the crowded passenger. We managed to get the VIP room, which mean a little bit of comfort. Fan, bed, blanket and water dispenser. But honestly, looking at the appearance, you won’t want to touch them. I’m not sure if they change the bed sheet daily. Putting my self to comfort, I use beach towel to layer the sheet. And by the way… VIP doesn’t mean cockroach free!

Budget vs Luxury and nothing in between

Inside the house & everyday is party day

Yes. That’s the choice available since Misool as tourism isn’t yet well developed. For those moneybag, Misool Eco Resort is actually a great option. They have nice villa and conservation site where you can swim together with wonderful sea creatures: grouper, reef shark etc. Unfortunately, I’m not moneybag. Excuse it in the spirit of adventure, my friends and I stayed at the local Kampung Harapan Jaya. We rent an upstair room for 6 of us. Shared bathroom, no aircond, no TV and electricity runs only from 6pm to 6am. 

The bitter-sweet of staying with local

Local kids. They follow wherever you go!
There are rule to respect though. Majority of Misool villages inhibitions are Muslim. They care so  much about what we wear. Bikini and revealing clothes are considered insulting. And there are also places where you have to wear clothes covering up to knee length. Nevertheless, Misool people are very friendly & welcoming ones. I like to ask them cracking jokes,  Papuan Mobs  - that’s how they call it. Looks like it’s a must have skill for every papuan men. It never fail to get me cry-laughing. This mob is really a great ice breaker to blend. 

This mob has become a passport for many things. Free mangoes everyday, night trip  wobbegong-watching, beer sneaking and island hopping.

Fresh home cooked meal everyday. Fish.. fish... and fish!! 









After all, everyone loves to party!!


It was the last week of 2014. And it is also big things in here! To my surprise, they prepared it well. Mbak Mira, our host baked a cake, make some special foods. For this special moment, beer is allowed! (yeah!!). The local set up some ornaments, loudspeaker and balloon. We chipped in lobsters for BBQ. Together we rang out the old year and rang in the new one! May joy and happiness returns! 

Oh my!! we are so dark.. but happy!!

1 comment:

  1. Titanium-R Stainless Steel Blade and Brushed
    Stainless Steel Blade 2019 ford edge titanium for sale and Brushed Bar titanium apple watch band Blades, iron titanium Brushed Stainless Steel Blade and titanium mens wedding bands Brushed Stainless Steel Blade. Stainless microtouch titanium trim walmart steel blade.

    ReplyDelete

Author