Monday 11 March 2013

Flores Day 2 : from Fruit to Fruit and History in Between


7 November 2011


The first morning in Flores, I fall in love with the fruit. Nothing beat the fresh ones. Ripe and picked from the tree. I'm a big hater of papaya and pinneaple. Even I have a joke about papaya. It's the saddest fruit on earth for having such a bland flavor. Neither sweet or sour. It is not soo good looking either. And I also often complain about pineapple for having to many pines and tasted too sour. It makes my tongue itchy.

Fruit heaven. I'm in loooveeee!! I'm in looovee!
But in here.. I don't dare mocking with the fruits. They are super duper delicious. It seems to me the land has natural sugar and lemon water. Whatever comes out from the tree, taste so freshly sweet. It's soo refreshing. I could finish a plate of pineapple alone.


Today we pack our bag. The plan is to head to Kelimutu and catch the sunrise tomorrow morning. We waved good bye to the hotel staff. We passed Maumere's city center. A quiet town enriched with humble buildings. In the market, I saw women are wearing saroong. It's a handmade saroong. Women has to be able to make one before they get married. It's a symbol of nurture and ability to support the family. Even the handmade sarong is sometimes become the trading currency aside of money.

We drop by at Maumere Museum. From outside it looked like a regular building. I think it was head of district office. They put all the artefact in the glass cupboard. I feel like I was in an antique shop :p. No tour guide helped us to explain or tell story. So, I just look around my self. Trying to make sense what is displayed. There's a map about the diversity of language and also map of woven pattern. It seems that every village has their own identity. Though nowadays most of the people speaks national languages already.

Maumere Museum
There's one big poster of a woman. I wondered who's this woman. Is she the hero of the island? She is Ibu Padi (Ine Pare). Legend said, there was long dry season hitting the island. Famine was everywhere as  their paddy field couldn't produce any rice.  Tough situation that brought Ine Mbu to go to the jungle to pick wild fruit. By accident, her knee got cut by torny tree. Blood dripping down to the ground. From that point, paddy rice grew. News spread. The villagers was tempted to get more of her blood and sacrifice Ine Pare. That's how people call her Ibu Padi. Mother of paddy rice. Tradition passed on. Every year, villagers would pick a girl and performe sacrifice. Sadly, the tradition last up to 1942 when Catholic Missionary spread their teaching.
The tale of  Ine Mbu
Enough with the sad story. We drive again for about 30 mins to visit one of the oldest church in Maumere. It was built by Portuguese missionaries who first land in this city. It also a historical prove how Catholic religion came and developing in this island. 

The first Portuguese Church
We don't spend much time at the church as stomach started showing off its grumpy sign. Vitalis takes us down to Sikka Beach where Laryss restaurant located. Finally I can have cold soda drink. Feel soo fresh under the heating weather.


The bad news is everything cooked manual in here. By mean that the guy have to make fire, cleans the fish and grill it for us. No other choice for me :p. So, keep calm and enjoy the beach. It's pretty actually. Blue water with white sandy beach. One and half an hour later one, the food is ready. Yummy grilled Cakalang fish. Princess is really readyyy!


Tummy full and happy we continue the journey to Kelimutu mountain. The terrain is so exotic. Going ups and downs. Along the road is candle nut forest, cocoa farming site and cashew nut trees. Have you ever see cashew fruit? Indonesian calls it Jambu Monyet. I never see the tree my self. So it is a bit of experience stealing  picking the ripe cashew from stranger's garden ^_^.  Again Flores land has it magic. The cashew fruit used to have tasted sour bitter. But this one... ohh.... I do really think this land has its magic. Probably Ine Mbu influence has spread all over the land. Not only the paddy field.

The Cashew Fruit
We drive another 2 hours before finally we reach the hotel. Kelimutu Ecolodge.  Time to rest my legs, relax and enjoy ginger tea....It's heaven. Literally. Thanks God!


1 comment:

Author