Friday 28 December 2012

Myanmar Day 4 - The Majesty Schwedagon Paya


Visiting Myanmar without seeing pagodas is like cooking without salt. You don't get the basic experience. As a buddhist country, pagoda is everywhere in the corner. The biggest one we must visit is Schwedagon Paya. Based on Mr. Krishna advise, we prefer to go in the evening so that we can see the shiny gold under the light. And it was very good decision!.

It's not difficult to get to Schwedagon Paya. This is main symbol of Myanmar national identity. The difficult part is we have to walk on hundreds stairs to get there. hehehe. 


From the entrance, i could already feel the grande aura of the building. It's pretty contrast with the surrounding. After bare street and humble wet market, Schwedagon welcomed us with tiled floor. We had to take of our shoes and walked bare feet into 166 stairs before arrived at East Gate of Schwedagon. To enter we must pay US$ 5. No charge for camera. 

Legend has it that Schwedagon pagoda is 2,500 years old though archeologist predicted it's older than that. History started with Queen Shinsawbu provided her own weight in gold. Lucky her, she was lightweight at 40 kg. 

We got in and amazed in the the graciousness of the building. Giant gold stupa made in solid gold. The upper part is studded with diamonds, totaling over 2,000 carrats. Amazing!!


We walked clockwise (following Buddhist rule) around the complex that is made up from hundreds little pagoda. Along the path are groups of people sitting stunned by the gorgeousness of the building, praying and make their devotion.









I was lost in my camera. Snapping here and there until two officers came approaching me. I was a bit worried they're gonna take my camera out. They said something and I did't understand their english. Something about the way i dress. Hmmm...I wore a too short skirt (trust me, it was a knee length! not a mini skirt). I protested since I didn't get warning from the officer in the front gate. They tried to explain that time there's Minister of tourism visit and everyone supposed to wore saroong. :p. One of them brought me saroong and I have to cover up in it for couple of minutes untill the minister passed by. My oh my... :p.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author