Friday 28 December 2012

Myanmar Day 1: Minglabar, Yangoon!


I owe my self to blog about all of my travellings. I will star doing it from now on before I make another new trip. And today's a good time. I planned to meet my dermatologist today, but she's still on holiday. Some free time now to post about Myanmar, especially since I wrote the draft here and there since half a year ago.

I took the trip together with some international friends: Davide, Mr. Robin and his loyal personal assistant. Was really an exciting trip. It made light butterfly on my stomach. I really like the idea of having a real adventure and take me out of comfort zone. No doubt, Myanmar would give it. I googled a bit about the country and I was flooded with news about how awful it is. Military rules, unsafe place for tourist, kidnapping and random gun shooting. Sounds like country in a war. A bit scary. But.. it's media role to create a big drama and exaggeration, isnt it? After all, finding it out ourselves gonna be more interesting.
This where Burma/Myanmar is. Don't get mixed up with Cambodia as many people does.
Th country is uniquely share border with India, China, Thailand and Laos.. so imagine how rich the culture is
To enter Myanmar, we have to get visa on arrival. The good thing is we can submit it online at : http://www.myanmarvisa.com/. It's pretty quick and easy. I just needed to fill in the form about my passport number, flight information and pay US$70. Actually visa could be ready in 10 days. But I submitted in the wrong date, in coincidence with Myanmar's public holiday on Vesak time. They've got 2 weeks holiday!!! wohoo.  So for me, I had to wait a month till I got the paper.

I flew with Air Asia, which took me to long journey:  2 hours of Jakarta-Kuala Lumpur, 2 hours of in-transit waiting, 2 hours 40 mins Kuala Lumpur-Yangoon. Pretty tiring, ya ^_^. I didn't really feel it cuz I slept all the time ( those who know me, I'm a big sleepy head). I arrived at Yangoon at 6.20pm. Went straight to the visa control and got my visa sticker tapped on my passport. Outside the passport control gate, I was surprised there's a lady in traditional dress with sign board of my name. I wondered if anyone requested a pick up from hotel. Nobody did!

The lady introduced herself from Tourism Myanmar Cooperative. She checked if we got the visa properly and gave short orientation about Yangoon. First, phone doesn't work. If we want mobile phone, we can rent with deposit US$ 500 and rental US$20/day. Uffff :p. Bye bye Blackberry messanger, Twitter and Facebook update. Second, there are only 5 areas that tourist can visit: Yangoon, Mandalay, Inla Lake, Bagan and Mrauk U.  Later on I knew that it wasn't because of the political restriction. It's more about the road condition as in Myanmar it's quite difficult to find reliable car as well. Third, about the money and currency. There's no ATM and very very very limited place can accept credit card (and it comes with 7% surcharge!). Myanmar, however US Dollar is widely available. Better to exchange the money in the official money changer down the street than in the hotel. US$ 1 equals to 820-840 kyats ( pronounce: chaatd).

The lady lead us to taxi stand. Cost to get to downtown is US$ 10 and we got a pretty basic wagon with air conditioner. Time to rest our legs and say.. Minglabar, Yangoon!

Swedagon Paya - the shiny golden pagoda said hello :). Minglabar!

*Minglabar = hello

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author